AFC MOBILE HOST FAMILY INFO
The Importance of Host Families
Having a host family is potentially one of the biggest and most influential aspects of a player’s AFC Mobile experience. The majority of our players are from the Mobile Bay area, but some are not.
Mobile will be a new place for them – away from their family, home, and school.
A host family will help give players who are moving into a new environment a safe and stable atmosphere in which to live over the summer.
The host family program also helps foster a relationship between the Mobile Bay community and players who will be living in the Mobile area for the first time. AFC Mobile believes that relationships formed between host families and players will last a lifetime. This is one of the most ideal ways to help the club and its players.
Host Family Responsibilities
Host families are asked to provide housing for their assigned player(s) for the duration of their stay in the Mobile area. Some players are expected to arrive in mid-April, though most will join the team later because of classes, playoffs, and other college commitments. The AFC Mobile season, including playoffs, should conclude no later than August 8th. During that span, host families should provide:
Host Family Responsibilities:
- Availability to use kitchen to prepare their own meals when the team is at home, depending on their schedule. Players will be fed by the club when traveling with the team.
- A bed and bathroom facilities with access to a shower for each player you are housing.
- Access to in-house laundry appliances.
- Access to kitchen / refrigerator facilities.
- Access to your house, usually by key or garage door opener.
Family Responsibilities do NOT include:
- Including the house guest in typical family routine is at the discretion of the host family
- Laundry of house guest
- Any transportation of house guest
- Hosting guests of the house guest
Guest Player Responsibilities:
- Be respectful of host family house rules including but not limited to curfew, visitors, meal times, internet usage (if permitted), and general conduct.
- Families will be expecting a certain amount of contact time with guests. Players will be prepared to socialize and be involved in family activities when suitable.
Guest Player Responsibilities do NOT include:
- Baby sitting or child minding
- Transportation of any family members
- Preparing meals or doing laundry for host family
Beyond that, we ask that you provide a welcoming environment for the players. While players are in the Mobile area, host families provide more than just housing – you provide a home. We simply request that you make them feel at home.
Some players will have their own car, so a place to park will be necessary. If the player does not have a car, he will carpool with other players to get to training and games. Host families are NOT required to provide a vehicle to players; you may choose to lend him a vehicle, but that is entirely at your discretion.
Host Family Benefits
When you become a host family, you’ll be adding a new member to your family, not taking on a tenant. AFC Mobile players are appreciative of the effort you will make as a host family, and they can serve as positive role models for your children. Yes, these are college-aged kids, but they are respectful of their environment – nothing less will be tolerated by our organization.
Host families will also receive season tickets and parking passes for the entire AFC Mobile season. Families love the excitement of high level soccer and family-friendly entertainment in Mobile, and the players enjoy seeing their adopted families in the stands. The longest-lasting benefit of becoming a host family, though, is the bond that will be forged between your family and your AFC Mobile player, the sort of relationship that can last for years.